Wednesday 30 May 2007

My Big Gay Buddhist Islamic Wedding

To celebrate the anniversary of the Civil Partnership Act, GAY.COM's Hassan Mirza shares his wedding album

‘Everybody’s gonna love today! Love today! Love today! Love today!’ – Mika

I’ve been a bit hesitant to discuss my wedding on the site for awhile, fearing that if my disapproving mother saw my wedding pictures, she’d be devastated. But I also have a feeling she secretly googles my articles – and a part of her, even though she will deny it – enjoys reading them. On this very momentous day, the anniversary of UK’s civil partnership act, I’m gonna be loud and proud!

So this one is for mom.

Before we get on with the picture show, here’s a bit on chronology.

February 2004 Stuart and I meet. I declare my undying love a month later when I drunkenly arrive at his house he’s playing piano, singing, and accompanying himself with an accordion.

May 2005 We are reunited when I return to London, following a year long hiatus. Birds begin to sing.

December 2005 He proposes over a morning coffee, at a café on Lower Marsh, near Waterloo - at which point he is a struggling composer, and I’m just struggling. We have no money. The madness begins…

April 1, 2006 We have a civil partnership with seventeen of our closest friends on a sunny day in Brixton town hall. Tears flow, Dancing Queen blares, I throw a bouquet, and by 2am, I’m screaming at people to leave my flat. It’s my party and I cry if I want to.

July 2, 2006 Stuart and I are creative types – so we decide to have a big ridiculous party the day after Europride. This party’s theme brings together major aspects of our personalities. Therefore, we referred to it as ‘My Big Fat Gay Buddist Islamic-chic Transcontinental Wedding’.

It took place on a beautiful garden up in Hendon, North London – on one of the hottest days of the year. We chanted, we laughed, we danced, we frolicked. It was hippy heaven..



...And the best day of my life.





Ceremony: Like a Prayer (yes, Madonna was sung by a friend, accompanied by a harpist) and Secret Love, from Calamity Jane. Surreal.



First dance: Kavita, covering a Lata Mangeskar wedding classic…No, I don’t know the name. Yes, it is YouTubed. Click here to see.



Last dance: Superman by Barbara Streisand. We were flying.


Chanting, initiating the ceremony.



In the ceremony there is a Saki drinking tradition. I'm not good at explaining it, so I won't.



Louise, Stuart's wonderful maid on honour, who came dressed as an Islamic flight attendent



Fab artist/DJ/extraordinaire Ellen Van De Graf wears a vintage Louis Vuitton hijab



The unstoppable Stewart Who? and myself.



UM....work!



The wedding dance.


Today - December 5, 2006 Bliss. And I'm thinking about babies...

To be continued...

No comments: