Monday 30 July 2007

Colloquial Cazwell



29/11/06

Hot gay rapper Cazwell talks about the unspoken rules of hip hop, the boys he likes, and - of course - sexy disco, rhythm and rhyme

Cazwell - the next gay ‘It’ boy - is guaranteed to get heads turnin’ and jaws droppin’ next month with the release of his debut album – Get Into It. Already the next big thing in the states and a hit on the NY downtown club circuit, Cazwell’s dirty boy appeal is hard to resist. Cheeky and foul-mouthed, this unapologetic “arse-eating cannibal” delights with catchy electro-tinted hip hop beats and witty raunchy repartee. The video for his first single, All Over Your Face, banned from MTV for its explicit content, has quickly become a YouTube sensation with nearly 100,000 views. In a candid interview with GAY.COM Cazwell tells us about the boys he likes, the unspoken rules of hip hop, and - of course - sexy disco, rhythm and rhyme.

So how did you end up as a white gay New York rapper?

Well I was born white and gay, so that part was easy. I honestly only started rapping because I can’t sing (laughs). I knew my medium was music so if I had some kind of fantastic singing voice maybe I would have gone in a different direction. The more I started rappin' the more creative I got. But I consider myself just an all around artist more than just a rapper.

I’ve heard you’ve been filming a new video for your single Watch My Mouth. How did that go?

Well, it was pretty hectic. We shot it at Boysroom in the East Village while they were opened, so it was hard to get the lights right. The premise is psychelic club scene stuff .There's really no story like in All Over Your Face.

I loved All Over Your Face. It’s done really well on YouTube.

Yeah, thank God since I can’t get it on TV! But it was a lot of fun to make. It was going to have a documentary feel to it so we didn’t have to worry about lighting. I wanted it to have kind of a Andy Warhol movie feel too.

That’s sucks you can’t get it on TV.

Well no matter how much I sensor it – it is what it is; a song about jizz on your face, and I can’t really hide that, but Watch My Mouth is gonna be rated G.



So how are your music and lyrics distinctive of the New York scene?

Well, the all around daily experience of living in New York kinda creates a whole vibe. I’m very lucky to be on West End Records because I have access to their music, and their disco hits have a very 70's gritty NY sound. Very sexy disco with live instumentation. I try to show the whole downtown scene that I’m part of, in the videos. Club life people carry a very superstar appeal. I love it.

So what’s your take on the London scene. How does it compare to New York’s?

Unfortunately, I was only out there for less than a week but i had a blast. I think it’s very similar to New York. You guys have your crazy freaks like Yr Mum Yr Dad, the really good dj's and of course – the parties. It was also Fashion Week in London when I was there, so maybe that made it a little more crazy. I played at Family, which i hear is now Boombox and at the Ghetto for The Cock party. The kids are a hot mix.



So the girls wanna know..do you have a boyfriend? If not, what do u look for? Are you strictly dickly?

I don’t have a boyfriend. I like a guy that smiles and I like brown eyes. As far as boyfriends go I’m more attracted to guys that are artists. Hmm.. I’m really trying to answer this question with alot of thought. (Pause)…I’m very particular even when it comes to hookups. I probably don’t hook up as often as you think. i have alot of dry spells. I would probably have a hard time dating a heavy smoker or a bad tipper. I dated a smoker before and I never wanted to kiss him.

That will disappoint the smokers.

Maybe that would inspire them to quit. I hear it causes cancer.

Alright. Another tangent. What happened to electroclash?

Good question. I have my own theories. It still exists in some music and it kind of morphed into dance music. I think that alot of critics didnt think that "electroclash" artists were very talented. I had a hard time figuring out what electroclash was and wasn’t sometimes. But it was a more experimental time.

Who inspires you? Who would you like to collaborate with?

Man, that’s a tough one. I never get used to that question. I get inspired by different things at different times. I would say David Bowie is a big inspiration, Beastie Boys, I listen to alot of oldies too like The Ronnettes and The Supremes. I love that sound. I listen to the WestEnd catalog non-stop. Right now my favorite record is The Gossip, Standing in the Way of Control. I would love to collaborate with them.

What did you like about the Beastie Boys?

I love MCA's voice. I liked the whole vibe and their sound was hiphop and punk

From a gay perspective hip-hop/rap are often thought of as being misogynist and homophobic, What's your take?

I don’t really consider myself hip-hop. If i did i would have to apply my life to the rules of hip-hop. The unspoken rule of hip hop is you can’t be a fag. You certainly can’t be an out fag. If you could, there would be more. I love the power of rhyme combined with music. If you think I’m hip hop that’s cool. If you don’t I can live with that.

You have been quoted as saying, "I want to make gay people cool again". What do you mean?

Well a lot of the gay people I know are very creative and trying to do something expressive, either with fashion or music and such. I think that gay people can have really good lives. I have straight friends that are totally envious of my lifestyle. For one sex is easy. Gay guys don't go through half the stress that straight guys go through just to get some pussy. The most mediocre lookin' gay sex addict can probably get more sex than a hot straight guy because we don’t have to play the same games that straights do just to get laid. Hell, we don’t even have to ask their name.

But back to your question....ultimately what I meant by that is that gay people know how to throw the best parties - with no drama or violence - and have the best time.

I really appreciate that answer. Favourite diva?

Madonna..shes the queen bee.

Omigod, yes, right answer. You just pushed my button. I know it’s cliché but I’m obsessed.

Well, I do love Madonnna. I don’t always love her music, but i love her because she is self-made. I believe that’s why shes so succussful and that inspires me.

Brooklyn or Manhatten?

I prefer the island. Manhattan. I live in the East Village.



And just one more to conclude. What is it about Amanda Lepore gets your creative juices flowing?

She has the most interesting life of anyone that I've ever met. And she's very open. I’m a Cancer and she's a Scorpio, so since we're both water signs we seem to flow pretty well.

And flow they do! Cazwell’s album – Get Into it – is out December 12th. Click here for his official website and here for his Myspace.

No comments: