Saturday 25 August 2007

Le Jazz Hot!

Christina talks exclusively with Gay.com about her new album Back to Basics, old Hollywood glam, and why she loves her gay fans!


With a new album on the way, the newly-wed Ms Aguilera gets Back to Basics. With a new burlesque-y sound and look, Christina takes us back to the jazz era… yet “still dirrty, gritty, and raw” - just the way we like it! She recently released the chart-jumping new single “Ain’t No Other Man”, and we were lucky enough to catch up with the stunning diva – platinum blond locks, blood red lips and all! – at London’s Sanderson hotel, where she talked to us about her new album, old Hollywood glam, and of course- why she’s Still Dirrty.


Congrats on the new album, it sounds great! How’d you come up with the concept?

Thank you very much. Well, for this record I wanted to draw upon things that I’m solely inspired by - the elements of blues, jazz music- and combining it with the visuals of say 20s, 30s, 40s, you know—old Hollywood glam screen sirens. Itt was such a great time for music, and a great time for… the iconic female.

I’ve always loved old blues, jazz, soul music. Over the past year– I wanted to dive into those eras and look at everything that was going on at the time and everything around.You know, you've got your Marilyn, your Marlene Dietrich, your Veronica Lake - all these incredible starlets that really took time to get ready. I love the whole glam of it all. It’s very ‘feel good’ to me.

There’s a track on the album called Save Me from Myself. What do you mean?

Save Me from Myself is the only song that is truly dedicated to my husband and I wanted it to come across in a very real and honest and vulnerable way.

It’s using just a four-piece string quartet and an acoustic guitar and the vocal is recorded in away that I’ve never done before: It’s super vulnerable, super up-close. No effect, no reverb. I usually have a lot of reverb.

A lot of what I do is belt, and do ad libs, things like that. On this record, it’s stripped away of any of that.

Lyrically what it’s about – on my worst days – I think we all have somebody that’s able to - or at least I hope, for the sake of other people! He’s that one person who is able to reach in there on my darkest days and pull me out of my own heavy space and make me realise all the amazing and beautiful things around me.

Could u sacrifice your career for your marriage?

No. I wouldn’t marry someone who’d ever put that pressure on me to do so. I married a man who knows what I’m about - as a woman and as an artist. He supports me in every way.

So Christina…obviously, you have huge gay appeal. Why do you think gay men love you?

[She laughs] I appreciate it very much!

I think that what I do comes off very real and honest and open.

I know that I got that I got a lot of love for my video for Beautiful because it depicts a man that did like to dress as a woman, and really, what that song was about was really letting everyone know, that even though you may see something as an imperfection, or it may not be accepted by other peoples’ opinions or judgements, no matter what, at the end of the day, it’s you who has to feel comfortable with yourself...

There are things that make us different that people might call imperfections that make us who we are - that make us amazing.

And you guys are just free spirited, and open-minded! So it makes it easier for me as an artist because that’s what I am and that’s how I express myself, you know? I just appreciate the love and support and I always try to take risks and make bold choices and take to you to new places that you can use your imagination, especially on my tour which will be really exciting.

Are you going on a European tour?

Yes! I’m actually going to start in Europe this time, in the fall.

What’s your favourite song on the album?

My favourite song on the album? That’s like asking me which child is my favourite! Oh Mother and Save Me from Myself those are the two that are more deeply spirited.

What kind of lipstick do you wear?

I go through many different ones! This one in particular that I’m wearing today is Powerhouse by Mac.

And what dress are you wearing?

Clothes? This [dress] is by Stella McCartney… belt by ..hmmm (she reaches for the label but can’t see it)…and um.. just a black sweater.

You appear totally naked in GQ. Are you happy with your body?

Yeah , I think it’s really important for woman to feel comfortable in their own bodies to express themselves as they feel they need to.

In society there’s so many rules and regulations and restrictions on how a woman should look and how she should wear her clothes – ‘Don’t be too provocative or too sexual or you’re gonna get judged’.

I think that’s just another form of a double standard that still goes on today and I think it’s really sad, so it’s how I feel comfortable and I’m not going to be afraid to show it.

You said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that the video for Dirrty had a very strong message. Do you still have a message for the new album?

I’m always trying to break new ground with how women feel about themselves. I think as women we need to respect other women in their choices that they make.

We all feel differently about how we want to go about expressing ourselves and it’s really important for us as a support team for each other, and to not criticise other women for how they feel they need to come across.

On this record there’s actually a song called Still Dirrty conveying that message once again just to say that even though I’m married - because there was a lot of press that actually came out in the states about ‘if she’s changed because she’s married, she’s given up this, she’s not doing this, she’s not doing that.’

Really, it was insane to me because I’m a woman who would never change who I am in the process of marriage.

And Still Dirrty says, in a very tongue-in-cheek kind of way that, you know, I’m still the same girl that I used to be.

It’s just that sexuality has taken on a different form for me. It will always show up in my work – it’s an important message I feel, for myself and as a need to express myself as a woman.

If there’s one thing u could to do to change the music scene now, what would it be?

One thing I could change? Well, I’m putting forth my best efforts…just trying to stay as open-minded as possible. I think it’s important in the kind of artists that I look up to in pop music and otherwise, are the ones that really do take those risks, and those are the true groundbreakers that really pave the way for future music.

AND the show queens would like to know - what is your favourite musical?

The Sound of Music is a good one. I love Meet Me in St Louis , that’s another good one, with Judy Garland , a Star is Born, Some Like it Hot. Thank you.

No. Thank you, Christina!

No comments: